EGGPLANT AND APPLE SALAD
(Serves 4-5 persons)
A refreshing tart salad with a hint of sweetness.
1 Long eggplant (114g)
Olive oil for frying the eggplant (1/4 cup)
1 Green apple (165g)
1 Ripe tomato (200g)
7 Lettuce leaves (100g)
1 Medium cucumber (100g)
2-3 Tablespoons boiled and peeled chickpeas
2 Tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
1 Tablespoon lemon juice
1 Tablespoon apple cider vinegar
1⁄2 Teaspoon salt
1⁄4 Teaspoon black pepper powder
1 Clove garlic, sliced in half
A generous dash of oregano
For Serving and Garnishing:
For extra crunchiness, sprinkle 1⁄4 cup roasted peanuts on the top before
For more flavour, add 2 tablespoons of chopped parsley to the
1. Dice eggplant into 1cm3 cubes and deep fry in hot olive oil. To
reduce the amount of oil used, use a small saucepan and tilt it
slightly towards the fire.
2. As soon as the eggplant is slightly browned and tender, remove
from heat and blot excess oil with a paper kitchen towel.
3. Dice tomato and cucumber into 1 cm3 cubes and the lettuce into 1
cm x 2 cm strips.
4. Rub the inside of a small mixing bowl with the garlic halves, then
discard the garlic. In the same bowl, combine dressing ingredients
and whisk together. Alternatively, combine all dressing ingredients
including garlic in a salad dressing bottle and shake well.
5. Dice apple into 1 cm3 cubes.
6. Combine all the ingredients in a salad bowl. Remove garlic from
salad dressing, toss salad while sprinkling with dressing using a
salad fork and spoon.
Try not to dice the apple ahead of time to avoid
discolouration. If you have to prepare the salad ingredient ahead of time,
place the apple cubes in cold water with a teaspoon of lemon juice. Drain
the apple well before combining with other ingredients and sprinkle with