PECAN BARS (AMERICAN)
(Makes 32 – 2.5cm x 2.5cm squares or 16 – 7cm bars)
A rich, American favourite. Made of a layer of crust covered by
pecans, drowned in a maple syrup toffee, cut into bars or squares
and served with coffee.
1 cup + 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour, sieved
3 tablespoons brown sugar
1⁄4 tea spoon salt
1⁄2 cup butter, melted
1⁄2 teaspoon vanilla
4 tablespoons butter (about 1⁄4 cup)
1⁄4 cup brown sugar, packed
1⁄4 cup pure maple syrup
1 tablespoon thick cream
1⁄2 teaspoon vanilla
a pinch of salt
1 1⁄2 cups (180g) pecans, whole or roughly chopped
3-4 tablespoons pistachio powder (optional)
1. Preheat oven to 180
oF). Line a glass oven dish (23cm x
14cm) with aluminium foil. Allow 5cm extra foil to over-hang on all
sides to facilitate shifting the content of the dish.
2. In a small bowl, combine flour, brown sugar and salt.
3. Pour the melted butter and vanilla. Stir with a fork to form a
crumbly and oily dough.
4. Spread, press and level the dough to cover the base of the
prepared oven dish. Freeze
for 10 minutes.
5. Bake for 18-20 minutes until the surface is dry but not completely
golden brown. Allow to
6. To prepare topping: in a small pot stir butter, brown sugar, maple
syrup on medium heat until the butter is melted and the sugar
7. Turn off heat. Whisk in cream, vanilla and salt. Fold pecans in the
8. Pour over crust and distribute with a spatula to spread the pecans
9. Bake for 18-20 minutes. The mixture should be bubbly around the
edges, while the topping remains soft after baking.
10. Allow to cool and completely set overnight, or refrigerate for
11. Hold the sides of the foil. Lift the content of the dish and
place on a cutting board. Peel off the aluminium foil, if desired,
sieve pistachio powder on top.
12. Using a heavy knife or a clobber, cut into
(2cm x 7cm) bars or (2-5cm x 2-5cm) squares. Keep covered in a
cool place or store in an airtight container with waxed paper
between the layers if necessary. Serve with coffee.
HONEY PECAN BARS:
In the above recipe, maple syrup can be substituted with honey.
Pecans and maple syrup can be substituted with walnuts and debs
(date syrup). Add a pinch of cardamom powder with the pistachio
powder or add 1⁄2 teaspoon cardamom powder to the topping
ingredients with the pecan in Step 6.
WALNUT AND DATES BARS:
Follow the above variation and fold in 1⁄4 cup chopped dates with
the pecan in Step 6.